Browse Items (313 total)

  • Subject is exactly "Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute"

Cover of the sheet music for "Tech Triumph," the university fight song, by Mattie W. Epes and W. P. Maddux.

"Moonlight and V. P. I." was written in 1942 by Fred Waring and Charles Gaynor after the Corps of Cadets asked Waring to write a song for the 1942 ring dance.

The Student Handbook, or "Rat Bible", which was later named The Guidon, is a serial publication for the Corps of Cadets that outlines the rules and regulations of the organization, which was used as the student handbook for the university, 1908-1909…

Front page of the engineering extension diivision newsletter, October 1, 1924.

September 1922 issue of the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute reporting on the educational opportunities for women at VPI, including home economics, agricultural and other life sciences, engineeering, and education training, September 1,…

These are selected pages scrapbook filled with photos of the VPI campus as well as inlaid tickets to both on and off campus events in the mid 1920s. The photos feature the scrapbook creator, Mary Josephine Hartwick, along with her friends during her…

150th_043. JuniorClass1904 Resignation v1.jpg
In 1904 the Junior Class resigned after a fellow cadet was dismissed from the University. The junior class drafted this statement where they said that if the student was not reinstated that they would all resign from the University.

Photograph of a "Rat Parade" (Freshman cadets in costume), 1918.

Photograph of a "Rat Parade" (Freshman cadets in costume), 1918.

086a. Org Chart.jpg
This organizational chart, entitled "Chart No. 2 Proposed Organization of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute by Function 1920-21", show possible organization with the deans of agriculture, engineering, and the college; the commandant; health officer;…

This item includes pdfs of biographies of university presidents, captured from the original anniversary website. Most biographies were compiled from

150th_076. Virginia flu 1918.jpg
This poster warns people not to enter a specific area without permission from the Board of Health becuase of the Influenza outbreak.

150th_105a. MilesStadium WarMem construction 1926_01 v2.jpg
This composite depicts War Memorial Hall, its gymnasium, and Miles Stadium while under contruction in 1926.

150th_104. Librarians Jones_1919 and Brown_1925.jpg
This composite includes a 1919 photo of Eleanor Isabelle Jones, university librarian from 1913 to 1923, and a 1925 photo of Ralph Minthorne Brown, university librarian from 1925 to 1946.

150th_105b. DedicationDay Miles and WarMemHall 1926_1023 v6.jpg
This composite includes photos from Dedication Day for Miles Stadium and War Memorial Hall on October 23, 1926. Alumni were invited to a homecoming for the dedication of War Memorial Hall at 10am, the dedication of Miles Stadium at 2:15pm, and the…

150th_113. Building in 1928 v3.jpg
This composite includes 3 photos of construction on the campus. On the left is the new power plant, on the top is the new stone dormitory Barracks No. 8, and on the bottom is of Patton Hall with 3 finished floors on the left and the Administration on…

150th_106b. Barracks nos 6 and 7.jpg
These photos depict the new Barracks No. 6 building, dedicated in September 1927, and Barracks No. 7, which was converted from the Science Hall and opened in November 1927.

150th_077. TheRock.jpg
This photo depicts the World War I memorial, also known as "The Rock", that is on campus. This memorial was first unveiled in July 1919 just before the commencement ceremonies.

150th_092. Work starts on stadium 1923_07.jpg
This photo depicts President J. A. Burruss breaking ground to start the construction of a new athletic stadium.

150th_087b. Woodshop in McBryde 1921-22.jpg
This photo depicts a class in the woodworking shop in McBryde Hall in 1921.

Group photo of the Virginia Tech chapter of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers from the 1938 Bugle, picturing Carmen Venegas (first row, second from left)

150th_075. SATC Officers 1918.jpg
This photo depicts the Officers of the Student Army Training Corps in 1918.

This photo depicts a biology classroom that was located in Smyth Hall. The building was originally known as the Natural Sciences Building but was renamed in 1949 to Smyth Hall.

150th_042. Shops Expansion 04.jpg
This photo depicts the shops building after it's expansion in 1904.

150th_062. Shops Building Burned.jpg
This photo depicts the Shops Building shortly after it burned down in 1913.

150th_035. ScienceHall and Barracks4.jpg
This photo depicts Science Hall and Barracks No. 4. Science Hall's construction was finished in 1901, and Barracks No. 4 was completed in 1902.

150th_116. Radio studio.jpg
In the fall of 1929, a sparse, but moderately sound-proof studio was built in an unused room in the tower of War Memorial Hall. The first broadcast aired on January 6, 1930.

150th_068. Commencement 1915 promenade on Main walk.jpg
This photo depicts a procession that started infront of the academic buildings and finished at the field house for the commencement ceremony.

150th_100. Patton Hall.jpg
This composite photo of Patton Hall includes a drawing by Carneal & Johnston, Architects, of the intended final building and a photo of the hall when the first floor was completed and occupied by the School of Engineering in Fall 1925. The…

150th_065. Owens Sears Meade Freeman Mays v2.jpg
This composite photo depicts Charles Owens, John Sears, Floyd Meade, Alonzo Freeman, and Preston Mays. These men were some of the first African American that were connected to the University.

Photograph of the Old Library building interior in 1915

Photograph depicts the Mineral Building (also Mining Engineering Building) of the School of Mines on VPI campus. The building was erected around 1908/1909.

150th_041. Expansion MessCommence.jpg
This photo depicts the Mess and Commencement Hall after it had been expanded.

150th_081. 1920 Mess Formation.jpg
This photo depicts the Corps of Cadets in mess formation sometime during 1920.

150th_037. Mary Goodwin Lacy (ID from 1899 Wytheville photo) -_DSC6619.jpeg
This is a photograph of Mary Goodwin Lacy that was taken in 1899.

150th_088. Brumfield MaryEllaCarr.jpg
This photo depicts Mary Ella Carr Brumfield, who was the first woman to receive a degree from V. P. I.

150th_080. Burruss 1919.jpg
This photo depicts J. A. Burruss. Burruss was the President of the University from 1919 to 1945.

150th_115. infirmary expansion.jpg
This photo depicts the college infirmary (now Henderson Hall) after an expansion nearly doubled its capacity. The addition was completed by the start of the end of 1929.

Photograph of the Ice Pond used for ice skating and recreation, 1934.

Photograph of Hillcrest Hall in 1941

150th_085b. Golden Jubilee right v4.jpg
This photo depicts the alumni gathering at the main tent at the Golden Jubilee. The inside of the tent is also pictured. Also pictured is an ariel view of campus after Golden Jubilee.

150th_085a. Golden Jubilee left.jpg
This photo depicts the Alumni Registration and Information Area at the Golden Jubliee. Also pictured are several alumni from the Classes of 1875 through 1895. The welcome banner that was hung up in Blackburg was also pictured.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2